Valid XHTML 1.0!

Gerald Jowett Marfleet




Keystone Manufacturing Company 1896
Keystone Manufacturing
Company 1896

Registration Card 1918
Registration Card 1918
Sterling First Presbyterian Church

Sterling First Presbyterian Church
Sterling, Illinois, c.1920
Photographers: Marfleet and Hart

Harding Funeral Train.

Harding Funeral Train
Sterling, Illinois, 6th August 1923.
Photographers: Marfleet and Hart

Berengaria 1921-1946 Berengaria

Europa 1930-1946 Europa

Ile de France 1926-1959 Ile de France

Leviathan 1917-1938 Leviathan

Republic 1924-1952 Republic

Resolute 1922-1935 Resolute

Malolo 1926-1937 Malolo

President Jackson 1922-1940 President Jackson

Preparing the equipment.

Preparing the equipment.

Filming on the 'Bintang'.

Filming on the 'Bintang'.

Marfleet and Weskin

Marfleet and Weskin.

Barber: Hoedoe (pronounced Hoodoo)

Weskin's masterpiece.

His Master's Comments!

His Master's Comments!

According to 'The Biographical Record of Whiteside County, Illinois' published in 1900, 'George T. MARFLEET Jr., married Effie M. SWARTHOUT of Rock Falls and they have one child'.

Twenty-nine year old George Thomas married his twenty-three year old bride on the 9th February 1898 and Gerald Jowett MARFLEET was born ten months later on the 3rd December, 1898. Another child, a daughter Naomi, was born on the 21st September, 1901.

George Thomas was the youngest son of George Thomas, a Civil War combatant deafened by the sounds of battle and a Collector in 1865 and Justice of the Peace in 1871, and Frances C. (POST). He was born in Tampico township, Illinois, on September 9, 1869 and he was to become an expert molder in the employ of the Keystone Manufacturing Company of Rock Falls. George appears in the 1870 census for Tampico, P.O. Sterling as being 10 months old. The 1880 census entry for Tampico records his age as 10 years.

The 1900 census the family were living in Rock Falls city, Coloma township. George was a 30 year-old Iron Molder and with him were his 26 year-old wife, Effie, and one year-old son, Jowett G.

The children were still minors, Gerald was 9 years of age and Naomi 6 years of age, when their father died on the 7th January 1907. The thirteenth census of the United States, taken on the 2nd May, 1910, records Effie and her two children living at Third Avenue, Rock Falls City. Times became very difficult for the young family and Effie had to present a petition on the 25th February, 1911, to the Hon. Wm. A. Blodgett, Judge of the County Court of Whiteside County, for guardianship of her children.

Later that year, in December 1911, the children came into property in Kansas (probably through Effie's family - Effie was born in Kansas) and Effie made a further petition that:
'Your petitioner, Effie M. Marfleet, would respectfully show unto your honor that she was by this court appointed guardian for above name wards; that there has come to her hands as such guardian monies and property belonging to said wards to the value of Sixty-two dollars ($62.00), which said sum she had entirely spent for the clothing and necessary school books; that she has in her hands as such guardian no other monies or property belonging to said wards; that the only property of which they are possessed, or in which they have any interest, is an 1/4 interest in an 80 acre farm in Kansas, and a one-eighth interest in another eighty acre farm located in Kansas, both of said farms being located in the western part thereof, the exact legal description of which is at this time unknown to this petitioner; that the said farms are of small value aat present, and that the interest of said minors therein, would not exceed Four Hundred Dollars ($400.00); that said lands are practically unproductive of rentals, and this petitioner would therefore pray that the costs of the clerk of this court in the above entitle cause, be remitted according to the statute in such case made and provided.'

Subsequently the real estate was described as:
'An individed one-fourth in East Half (1/2) of North East Quarter (1/4) of Section Twenty-two (22), Township Twenty-two (22) Range Two (2) West, in Harvey County, Kansas,'
'An individed one-eighth in South East Quarter (1/4) of Section Three (3) Township Twelve (12) Range Twenty-two (22), in Trego County, Kansas.'
The former property having a Value of Interest of $150.00 with no rental for the past two seasons, and the latter a Value of Interest of $100.00 with no rental whatsoever.

In April 1912, Effie claimed from the court for the 'Board and care of Naomi (and Gerald) Marfleet March 2-1911 to April 1-1912 the sum of $150.00 each.

On the 12th September 1918 Gerald was required to sign up and his World War I Draft Registration Card C records his date of birth, address, occupation and his characteristics. Born December 3, 1898 he was 19 years of age and lived at 213 3rd Ave, Rock Falls. His occupation was that of Clerk with C + N W R R (Chicargo and Northwestern Railroad) at Sterling. His height and build were both recorded as 'medium' and he had black eyes and light hair. His nearest relative was Mrs Effie Marfleet of the same address. It is not yet known if Gerald served in the armed forces. Not all the men who registered actually served.

The 1920 census, the fourteenth, which was enumerated on the 13th January records that Effie (44), Gerald (21) and Naomi (18) were still living together on Third Avenue, Rock Falls, Coloma township. Effie was employed as a Sales Lady in retail dry goods but Gerald and Naomi, although 21 and 18 respectively, were unemployed. Living with them as a Boarder was Bruce FRITZ, a 24 year-old mail carrier for the City.

A photograph of the Harding Funeral Train in Sterling Station, taken on the 6th August 1923, bears the photographic studio name of 'Marfleet and Hart'. (It has not yet been confirmed that this is Gerald but if anyone has further information, please me.)

Gerald was no stranger to crossing the Atlantic. The New York Passenger Lists (1820-1957) show at least seven trips between 1927 and 1932. There are also records showing arrivals at other ports of entry. On the 26 August 1927 Geild Marfleet arrived at New York on the S.S. Berengaria which departed Cherbourg, France, on the 20 August 1927. His address was 213, 3rd Avenue, Rock Falls, Illinois. On the 20 August 1928 Gerald Marfleet arrived on the queen of the United States Lines' merchant fleet, the S.S. Leviathan which had sailed from Southampton, England on 14 August 1928. His address was Rock Fall, Illinois. Following his return to his native country, a report appeared in the Los Angeles Times newspaper on the 23rd August, 1928, under the heading, 'Europeans See Hoover's Value' in which Mr. G.J. Marfleet of Rock Falls, Illinois, was quoted as presenting the views of European, particularly England and Germany, countries to the possiblilty of Herbert Hoover being able to promote friendly relations between their countries and the United States more than his opponent. On the 31 August 1929 Gerald J. Marfleet arrived on the S.S. Republic from Southampton, England, which departed 21 August 1929. His address was 1304 Union Trust Building, Chicago and pass number 666354. On the 15 September 1930 Gerald Marfleet arrived on the S.S. Europa from Cherbourg, France, on the 10 September 1930. His address was 213, 3rd Avenue, Rock Falls, Illinois.

By the time of the fifteenth census in 1930 Naomi had moved out, (the Sterling - Rock Falls Gazette reported on the marriage of Paul L. CRAMER and Naomi MARFLEET in the issue published on the 17th September 1929 (7;1).) and the household consisted of Effie (54) and Gerald (31) who are still living on Third Avenue. Effie is still employed as a sales lady but Gerald is now employed. His occupation is 'Com Photographer' and the type of work recorded as 'Lecturer, Star (movie pictures)'.

Even during the hard times of the Depression Gerald was fully occupied. The Daily News, Kentucky, reports that Jerry Marfleet took as an assistant Bill Meinhardt in the making of one-reel travelog films for Warner Brothers. The pair was working for E.M. Newman, a well-known travel lecturer who had a contract with Warner Brothers. Meinhardt said, "I didn't make any money, but we lived in the best hotels and saw things the average person wouldn't see."

Meinhardt and Marfleet travelled the United States and once visited Canada.

"We had introduction to all the national parks and chambers of commerce," he said, "They were glad to see you, to get publicity.

Those travels found Meinhardt witnessing a rattlesnake dinner in Texas and seeing Marfleet "photograph every graveyard in the Civil War (era)," among other things, he said.

Meinhardt helped Marfleet during the making of the films "See America First" and "Our Own United States."

"What they were trying to do (with the films) was keep people from going to Europe and spending their money," Meinhardt said. ('Bridging gap between the past and present' by Daily News, Bowling Green, KY. 24 May 2000.)

See America First was made in 1931 - Hollywood chorus girl Kay Gordon is given a tour of various Oakland, California, businesses.

On the 25 August 1931 Gerald Marfleet arrived at New York on the S.S. Ile de France from Le Havre, France which departed on the 19 August, 1931. His address was P.O.Box 202, Rock Fall and his pass number was 348275. On the 12 May 1932 Gerald Jewett Marfleet arrived in California on the S.S. Resolute a cruise ship of the Hamberg-American Line, having departed New York. On the 27 May 1932 Gerald Jewett Marfleet arrived on the S.S. Resolute which departed from New York, New York on 6 January 1932. Shore leave had been granted at San Pedro, California, on the 5-12-32 (see above). His address was 213 3rd Ave, Rock Falls, Illinois. On the 7 September 1932 Gerald Marfleet arrived on the S.S. Europa from Cherbourg, France, which departed on 2 September 1932. His address was 213, 3rd Avenue, Rock Falls, Illinois.

On the 4th January, 1933, the Sterling - Rock Falls Daily Gazette reported on G. J. Marfleet, a 'globe-trotting cameraman' (6:1).

In 1934 Dixieland was made. This entry in the "See America First" series focuses on the ten years prior to the US Civil War. We see monuments and buildings associated with people and places of that era. Some of these are: a monument to slaves in Nachitoches, Louisiana; the Brunswick, Maine home of Harriet Beecher Stowe, where she wrote the novel "Uncle Tom's Cabin"; Fort Nashboro in Nashville, Tennessee; composer Stephen Foster's home in Bardstown, Kentucky; the grave of abolitionist John Brown at his family's farm in North Elba, New York; and Andrew Jackson's home, The Hermitage.
(Summary written by )

In 1935 The Blue and the Gray was made. This short, the seventh in the "See America First" series, opens with a slightly corrupted version of the following quote from Sir Walter Scott;
"Breathes there the man, with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land!"
As the narrator tells the story of the American Civil War, the audience visits various cities, battlefields, buildings, and monuments associated with the war's personalities and battles. The film ends with newsreel footage of a parade of Civil War veterans.

(Summary written by )

On the 16 April 1936 Gerald Marfleet arrived in Calfornia on the SS Malolo from Honolulu, Hawaii.

The Singapore Free Press and Mercantile Advertiser (1884-1942), 25 June 1937, Page 3, records: Another maker of travel films has arrived in Singapore.

On his way to Java from Burma and India, Gerald J. Marfleet, a young American cameraman working for E.M. Newman's Colortour Adventures, is passing through Malaya. He expects to leave for Batavia today.

He will not be making any films locally as Len Ross, already well-known in Singapore, is engaged by the same company and has already adequately covered Malaya.

"Old singapore has gotten too respectable since I was here a few years ago," Marfleet complained to the Free Press yesterday. "So respectable it won't recognise you."

The dispensing of drinks must be the most profitable industry in Singapore, Marfleet thinks. "The drinks in your city are all water." he claims. "And Singapore coffee - well, I won't talk about Singapore coffee."

Marfleet expects to leave for Batavia today with camera gear worth $10,000. After making a travel film of the Netherlands Indies he will probably work through French Indo-China.

In 1937, deep in the jungle on Flores, one of the Indonesian islands, Patrick COLLINS (1904-1991) author of the book 'Komodo Dragon Island', met up with Warner Brothers director Gerald J. Marfleet and his assistant G.G. Weskin, and took them aboard the 'Bintang' to Komodo where he leads them round. Marfleet took many shots of the island, the ship and of the dragon-lizards. Two years later, in Batavia, the author sees a Warner Brothers movie which incorporates these scenes.

As this extract from his book shows, the author recorded some of the events of their time together.
'(Page 136 et seq.) ..... another subject had arisen to claim my interest. Shortly before I left Roeteng to return to Komodo I heard that Gerald J. Marfleet of Warner Bros. wanted to make colored films of the dragons. He was then at the other end of Flores. I offered to take him in the Bintang, and the district officer of Roeteng, who had told me about Marfleet, telephoned him to arrange a rendezvous for us. Marfleet was to go by steamer to Laboean Badjo, on the west coast of Flores, where I was to pick him up on my way to Komodo.

When we arrived at Laboean Badjo I found him in the resthouse with his assistant G.G. Weskin. I had in any case intended to call at Laboean Badjo, as I wanted to see Hadji Soepoe. During our talk in Roeteng the hadji had warned me "Don't take the Bintang across Linta Strait alone, Toean. Neither you nor your sailors know how the tidal streams run. If you call at Laboean Badjo on your way back to Komodo, I or one of my sons will be glad to act as pilot."

After my experience with the poisoned leg I was feeling in a generally cautious mood. Wiser than when I first landed in Komodo. I had learnt that you may run around nearly naked in a very thorny tropical island and get away with it, and you may watch dragons eating decomposing pigs and get away with it, but if you combine these activities you are asking for trouble - and not even exciting or interesting trouble, but just two wasted months of hospital treatment.

Though I disliked intensely the thought of wearing clothes while climbing Komodo's steep hills under the burning tropic sun, I intended to do so when I returned to the island. And I knew that if ever I felt like getting rid of them and taking foolish risks again, there would still be four open holes in my leg to remind me of the thorns and flies. The sailors too would have to wear more clothes when they were ashore. Hoedoe and I cut up some strong sailcloth, and by folding it several times we made thorn-resisting leggings for the crew. For myself, as I was going to do much more traveling in Komodo than the sailors, I had bought a pair of leather leggings in Roeteng, but later I found that those made of cloth were better.

In addition to being more careful about myself and the sailors when ashore, I felt more concern than usual about the Bintang. Linta Strait was even worse than Sapeh Strait, for there were more islands and rocks and reefs to run into. "Linta Strait is little or never used," says the pilot book, "owing to the violent tidal streams and the erratic effect on them of the irregular land formations. Owing to the many small islands that lie in their way, the directions of the streams vary greatly, thus causing in the North Rintja area countless whirlpools, eddies and tide-rips. Of the tidal streams little is known."

I had decided, therefore, to take Hadji Soepoe's advice and to try to learn from him something about the tricky currents of Linta Strait before tackling them on my own. When I arrived in Laboean Badjo, however, Hadji Soepoe and his sons were all away on some new venture. I asked the local chief if he could find a pilot for me. He brought a man named Leboe, recommended by Hadji Soepoe, who knew the strait well and often sailed a canoe to and from Komodo. I took him on as pilot and we sailed.

As we drew near to the home of the dragons once more, I saw three rocky islets lying close together about half a mile off the Komodo shore, in the narrowest part of the strait. Their name was the Three Rocks, Leboe told me. Beyond them, over the ship's bows, rose a gray range of craggy peaks, steeper and more precipitous than those in the north of the island.

The stream took the Bintang for a short cruise down Linta Strait before it would let us get to Komodo village, but we reached it at last without having run into anything. The village consisted of about thirty houses, one of which, painted white and standing out clearly from the gray-brown of the rest, belonged to a Japanese trader, the only non-Komodoan living in the island.

Before the ship had anchored, the headman's deputy came out in a canoe to meet us. As Marfleet could spend only a few days filming the dragons, we arranged at once for a supply of food for them - a goat and some chickens. Marfleet then went to a small island and made some shots of the Bintang sailing with the Komodo hills in the background. Later he set up his camera on the high poop and filmed the ship and her crew while we were sailing and when we anchored off the village.

Two years later, when I was at the movies in Batavia, the Bintang sailed across the screen - followed by other shots that Marfleet had made during his trip to Komodo, some of the dragons and some taken on board the ship.

When he had enough shots of the Bintang we went ashore, where we met Saaba, the headman of Komodo. Like his deputy, he was about thirty-five and spoke fluent Malay, He was a willing and capable man, and had a pleasing personality. "Where to the largest dragons live?" I asked him. Now if ever was the time for an encounter with the biggest lizards in Komodo, when a distinguised cameraman was there, ready to make colored pictures of them. "In the valley of Wai Liang, Toean," he told me, "deep in the jungle."

We sailed at once for Wai Liang, with some Komodo hunters on board and also the goat, which had been killed and was hanging from the stern. As we did not arrive until late in the afternoon, there was nothing to do but eat. Marfleet supervised the preparation of dinner. All he had at his disposal was what he had been able to buy in a small Chinese store in Laboean Badjo, the simple canned food that sometimes lies unsold for years on the shelves of little shops in the islands. As he began to take one can after another, mixing their contents without the slightest sign of irresolution, I recognised the easy confidence of a master chef. During the few days Marfleet was in Komodo I ate meals that were far more complicated than the simple fare I usually enjoyed in the Bintang.

In Roeteng I had heard that about twenty years before a Komodo boy had been killed by a dragon. When I found that one of the hunters who were with us had been with the boy when it hapened, I asked him to tell me about it. As he did not know much Malay, the leader of the hunters helped by interpreting from time to time. "About twenty men and boys," he said, "were cutting wood in the jungle, We had split up into groups, and three of us - all boys of about twelve - sat in the shade and rested. We were tired of cutting wood. Suddenly we saw a big dragon coming toward us, and we got up and ran. The dragon chased us. One boy fell, and the dragon bit his leg. Its teeth went right in the flesh. We shouted for help. We hit the dragon with our parangs, but could not hurt it much. The men of the party heard our shouts and came to help. They hit the dragon, and some of the tried to pull the boy away. At last the dragon, not badly wounded but perhaps tired of being hit so much, let go and ran away. We carried the boy down to the shore, where after a few hours he died."

The next morning Marfleet made several shots as we went up the dry river bed of Wai Liang. The most striking scene was when we were walking along the bottom of a canyon which had been cut deep into the soft alluvial earth of the flat land at the lower end of the valley. Above its sheer sides rose tall trees, with lianas trailing from their overhanging branches. Under some trees the earth walls had been washed away, so that they had fallen across the river bed, blocking our way. Other great trees stood precariously on the edge of the canyon, their roots exposed, with only a few more months of life before the next rainy season, when the first torrent that rushed down from the hills would sweep away the earth below them and send them crashing down across the river.

Deep in the jungle we came to a palm-leaf screen at a place where the Komodo men skin and cut up deer when they have been hunting in this part of the island. It was set against one of the steep banks that rose on each side of the stream bed, which here was far narrower and more rocky than the channel that had been cut through the flat land.

After hanging the goat out of reach of the dragons we made a new screen from which Marfleet could get a clear view up the stream bed. It was now too late for photographs, but a broad-headed and massively built dragon which came out of the jungle and looked at us made us optimistic about the next day's watching. At sunset a lamp was hung by the goat, and we took turns throughout the night at sitting up to watch the dragon-food. After four long nights of fruitless waiting by the bats I was sure that dragons sent home to sleep before dark, but as Marfleet could spend only a few days in Komodo we did not want to run any risk of losing the bait. The goat was a grisly sight; its body, hiding the lamp behind it, was bloated like a balloon, outline by the soft halo of light that surrounded it. The old screen, on the other hand, when seen from the middle of the stream bed had a most attractive appearance: a hanging lamp sent rays of golden light through the leafy branches that formed the upper part of its walls, giving the little structure an unreal look, like a stage setting for some fairy tale of the jungle.

The next day, after the dead goat had been tied to the stump of a bush in the middle of the stream bed, Marfleet and Weskin went into the new screen while I stayed in the old one. I could not get pictures with a setting as attractive as those taken from the new screen, but the old one was nearer the bait, and, not having a variety of lenses like Marfleet, I had to get closer to the lizards to get good pictures of them.

Sometimes lightweight and middleweight dragons came out of the jungle at once. They were soon followed by three big heavyweights. After a minute or so the largest of these three chased away the other two and began to eat the goat. In the meantime, resenting his selfishness, the two lizards prowled around enviously. Now and then they cautiously approached the bait, only to be driven off again by the largest reptile: and sometimes all three of the big dragons stood in the dry stream bed, glaring at each other and making their peculiar noise.

As the largest dragon did not object so much to the smaller lizards, a number of middlewights and lightweights cautiously aproached the goat and ripped off pieces of flesh. Never before had I seen so many dragons at once, and never again did such a crowd of them appear. At once moment Marfleet counted fourteen in his viewfinder. At the same time eleven appeared in mine. In addition to those we could see in our viewfinders there were many more out of camera range in the stream bed and the jungle.

The big dragon soon finished off the goat, swallowing backbone, head, horns and all. When no more goat remained we killed a chicken and put it under some stones that were too heavy for the lightweights to lift, in the hope that the larger dragons would try to get at it. Though the heavy weights made no attempt to do this, one of them did something far more interesting and surprising. He was sitting behind Marfleet's screen, with his hind legs bent and his fore legs straight, so that his head was serveral feet about the ground. After turning his head slightly, he opened his mouth and deliberately tore a few leaves off a plant. After a few sconds he took some more. From his screen Marfleet called out to me "Did you see that?". As dragons are carnivorous, we wondered why he had eaten the leaves. The plant that he ate was very common on the banks of the stream bed: one was growing only a few yards from the bait, but all the time I watched dragons at Wai Liang I never saw another lizard take any notice of it. Like some other animals, the usually carnivorous dragon may, when he feels it is necessary, eat leaves with medicinal properties.

Besides the goat and chickens we had brought some palm-leaf bags of fish and fish bones, which were eaten by lightweight dragons. When the bones were too large and spiky to be eaten whole, the little lizards battered them on rocks to break them. I was watching a young dragon doing this when I heard a noise behind the screen. A lightweight had put his head into an empty bag to see if it contained any more fish, and had hooked his teeth into the inside. Now he could not get them out. The more he backed away, the tighter his hooked teeth became fixed in the bag. I felt sorry for him and wanted to go and release him. But I did not dare do it, for though he was only a small dragon his teeth were almost certainly full of germs from the rotting fish, and he would be so panic-stricken by the time I had got his head out of the bag that he would probably have bitten me. Those holes in my leg were still open, warning me to be careful. In any case he would soon be able to get rid of the bag on his own, for he was jumping around, shaking his head from side to side and trying to scrape it off with his claws. The bag looked like a hat. It was a ridiculous sight - a dragon dancing around in the jungle, wearing a hat.

Marfleet and I made notes of stones under the noses and tail-ends of the big dragons when they happened to be stretched out at their usual full length: "usual", because there were of course natural curves in the dragons' necks, backs and tails, so that if they had stretched themselves they might have become slightly longer. And if they had been skinned, of course, the hides might have been stretched so as to reach a foot or so more than the ground the living animal covered. Later we measured the distances between our respective stones. There were differences of only a few inches between our various independent measurements, according to which the largest dragon was about ten feet in length. This big lizard was unwilling to keep still for us to stretch Marfleet's measuring tape along his back from head to tail. In any case, even if he had been willing, we should not have dared to do it, so that we did not measure him to the nearest inch. But we were both convinced that he was no tweny-three-foot dragon.

As Marfleet had to leave Komodo and continue his travels, he could not accompany me on a further search for monsters. I was sorry he had to go, for my next trip was to be across the island to Letoehoh Bay, where Monno had been surrounded and attacked by twenty-foot dragons. I intended to examine the battlefield and to try to reconstruct the desperate fight, for now I was confident that, if I reproduced approximately the same conditions, I too would be encircled by the monsters that had surrounded Monno.

After Marfleet's lucky day we sailed back to Komodo village, past shoals of fish that made a loud roaring noise as their tails and fins beat the water. We saw sharks too, some of them apparently chasing the fish. And now and then a pair of whales rose to the surface and blew their high plumes of vaporous breath, slowly showing more and more of their enormous bodies and sometimes their tails. They rose and blew repeatedly, very near the Bintang and apparently completely undisturbed by her presence. I was surprised that they let us sail so close to them.


Marfleet and Weskin returned to Flores in a fishing boat. Sometime after they had left I noticed Marfleet's typewriter in the Bintang's cabin. As a fisherman happened to be sailing for Flores that night, I asked him to take the machine to Laboean Badjo, where Marfleet would be waiting for an inter-island steamer. The typewriter reached him safely, for the fisherman was not, on this occasion at least, unduly led astray by the inspiring name of his canoe, which was Look For Pretty Girls And Do What You Like With Them.'

On 3 February 1938 Gerald Jewett Marfleet arrived at Seattle, Washington on the Dollar Line SS President Jackson having left Hongkong, Asia on 14 January 1938. His address in the United States is recorded as 2405 2nd Avenue, Seattle.

1939 was the year that the film 'For Your Convenience' was released by Warner Bros. on the 20th May. The credits for this nine minute short film include: 'Cinematography by Gerald J. Marfleet'.
summarized as:
The short has four seemingly unconnected sections, except that a certain conveniences for the user are involved. In "Bowery Beautician", a beautician shows how he hides a hideous black eye until it is barely noticeable. In "Chutes", the proper way of packing a silk parachute is shown and a man jumps from a plane, and presumably lands safely. In "Home Brew", the pleasures of making your coffee from whole coffee beans and a grinder, is demonstrated. In "Girth Control", a lovely lady exercises and uses reducing vibrating machines to help her lose weight.

On the 20th July, 1940, the Sterling - Rock Falls Daily Gazette reported that Gerald Marfleet 'takes pictures in all parts of world' (4;6).

On the 8th June, 1947, Effie died and was buried at Sterling.

On the 9th June, 1947, the Sterling - Rock Falls Daily Gazette reported the death of Effie M. Marfleet (7;3) and on the 12th June, 1947, published an obituary for Marfleet, Effie M. Swarthout (George T. Jr.) (6;4-6).

On the 10th July, 1947, the Sterling - Rock Falls Daily Gazette reported on Gerald Marfleet, who 'ins color photo contest' (1;4).

Email received from , (9th December 2007): In May of 1967, I entered Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, as a graduate student. I got a job at the Audiovisual Center, working for Jerry Marfleet. He was then almost 70 years old, and supervised activities in a small stockroom of equipment and supplies that were loaned out to students taking photography and graphic arts classes.

Jerry was a real character, respected--and feared--by all. He was always very helpful and glad to show students how to use the equipment. But he had very set ways of doing things, and scolded you thoroughly if you you didn't adhere to the proper procedures. He had his assistants (like me) paint "AVC-3" (or another number) on every piece of equipment, right down to each razor blade holder. We used the numbers to check out items to the students, and Jerry made sure we tracked down those that didn't turn things in by the end of the day.

When he would ask us to do something, he would always explain exactly how it should be done. For example, I remember him showing me how to use an electric drill. I had used one for perhaps 20 years, but I knew better than to tell Jerry that. I let him show me how, and even learned a trick or two.

I had recently returned from a trip to Cambodia, and Jerry told me that he had done film work there. He said they had to climb trees with their equipment to keep away from elephants that came by to see what they were doing. In the back of the stockroom, he kept an old motion picture camera which he had modified to use in his work. I was told that it was one of the very first color film motion picture cameras.

About a year after I began at IU, Jerry retired. He died shorty after that. He was a tough boss, but a kind man. He was intolerant of carelessness, but always forgave honest mistakes. I'm sure the hundreds of students who came into contact with him remember him still. I'm glad to have known him.

Gerald died on the 27th May, 1969 aged 70 years.

On the 28th May, 1969, the Sterling - Rock Falls Daily Gazette published an obituary on Gerald J. Marfleet (6:4).

On the 29th May, 1969, the Sterling - Rock Falls Daily Gazette published the funeral rites of Gerald J. Marfleet (6:5). again, on the 2nd June, 1969, the same newspaper published the funeral rites of Gerald J. Marfleet (2;7).

The book, Komodo, Dragon Island by G.E.P Collins, is privately published by Editions Clepsydre, Belgium, and may be purchased from (nephew of the author).

© Marfleet Family History 2004
John's Homepage
Gerald Jowett Marfleet
This page was last updated
Go to Contents
This page may contain links to other web-sites. Please note that the MARFLEET Family History webmaster accepts no responsibility for the content of any onward linked page. If you experience any connection problems with an onward link, please contact the with details so that the problem can be rectified. Please note also that all email addresses listed on this page are encrypted to prevent detection by robots. Thank you.